|Prize pool correction|
We made a mistake when creating the prize pool. We actually can't really give prizes to Top 5, since it's either Top 4 or Top 6 in a double elimination bracket. Therefore we changed the prize pool to Top 6 as follows:|
1st - $200
2nd - $150
3rd - $100
4th - $75
5th - $50
6th - $50
EDIT: This pool is now defunct. See above.|
For those interested in how the USD$625 will be distributed to the winners, it will be done in the following fashion:
1st - $200
2nd - $150
3rd - $125
4th/5th - $75+$75
We are also interested in accepting donations to further the prize pool. If you are interested then let me know. Any donated money will be going to places from 6th place onward rather than increasing the amounts paid out for the top 5 places.
Ok, we have to revise the plan of having two weeks per WB round. The tournament would simply run way too long (until December). So, we decided in the end of having one week per WB round.|
This was especially necessary, because we went with a 128 player bracket. This way we didn't have to cut off 11 players that signed up last. It also means there is a substantial amount of byes in round 1.
Head over to the bracket and check it out! Happy fragging!
|Schedule, ping rules and servers|
Finally here are the long awaited infos on the tournament.|
The official tournament start will be 17th of August. But we will release the bracket by coming Friday, so you can actually start playing a couple of days earlier if you want.
The deadlines for winners bracket rounds are set for two weeks. That leaves the deadlines for losers bracket at one week per round. We think that this is more reasonable, since people have jobs and families to take care of and probably cannot play mid-week.
For the ping and server rules, please head over to the Rules section and read paragraph #7. Since this is NOT a Europe-centric tournament and since it spans three continents, players should expect to play on higher pings than usually. We will split the bracket into sections for BR, US and EU as good as we can though. This means that winners bracket matches will be mostly local until later rounds. The losers bracket will be mixed though.
Here's a map of the server locations and most common routes (thanks to mushi for putting it together).
(Click for a bigger version).
And lastly: I saw a couple of players that didn't provide a proper IRC channel for QuakeNet. To simplify the process of connecting to IRC, here's a web IRC client that you can use.
For external use follow this Link and safe it in your favorites!
|Introducing DuelMania WorldWide|
tri-continent tournament aimed to cover players all the way from South America to Europe with North America in-between!
With the addition of a number of new strategically placed servers around the globe aimed to narrow the ping gap between regions and continents, we are now in the unique position to run a competitive multi-continent QuakeWorld duel tournament and we are even putting our money where our mouth is. For the first time DuelMania will not be run as a European-based tournament, but instead as a |
The 3 key differences in this season of DuelMania are as follows:
- Games will need to be played on the server that gives both players the lowest ping, even if that server is located in another continent.
- The ping-up rule has been increased from 38ms to 90ms if one player's ping is above 90ms.
- We have prize money. At this stage we have a guaranteed wallet of USD$625 which will pay out the top 5 players.
How will it work with server choice?
- Normal rules apply when playing someone from your own continent.
- You will need to play on higher pings if your opponent is from another continent.
- European and South American players will be expected to play their games on servers in the USA (Miami or New York servers are the mandatory options).
- If one player has less than 90ms ping and one player has above 90ms then pinging up to 90ms (maximum) is required.
- North American players will need to play in Europe or South America if they are East Coast (and it is the fairest option), otherwise if they are west coast they will need to play in Miami or New York and then ping up.
- You must use sb_findroutes 1 to ensure you have the best possible route. People not using the best route will be considered to be artificially increasing their ping to sway server choice in their favour. Players who don't wish to use sb_findroutes 1 to have their best route chosen for them should research the best combination of proxies in advance for them to play on New York, Miami and London servers. Refer to this guide: http://www.quakeworld.nu/blog/377/how-to-use-qwfwd-to-improve
- dirtbox (Netherlands) vs dev (North Brasil) - New York server (equal 90ms)
- BloodDog (East USA) vs locust (Sweden) - London server (locust pings up)
- BogoJoker (West USA) vs x1bot (South Brasil) - Miami Server (Bogo pings up)
- Bulat (Russia) vs x1bot (South Brasil) - New York (both with high pings)
QuakeWorld is turning 20 next year, 1996-2016. Hopefully this tournament will inspire QuakeWorld fans to look again to this incredible game, and celebrate the incredible 20 year anniversary of the one and only, Quake!
SIGN UP NOW and celebrate!